The Beginners Guide To Rune Readings
Runes are yet another tool in the inventory of divination techniques that are open to psychics and mediums alike. A set of runes consists of 24 tiles or stones that bear primitive markings, each of which is a character or letter from early Germanic decent.
Northern European countries originally used runic alphabets until the Latin alphabet became more accessible. The origin of the name “rune” itself is believed to be derived from a combination of an old European word, “ru” and the Old Germanic word “runa”, which put together means “secret whisper”.
According to legend, the Norse warrior Odin was seeking wisdom and a greater understanding of life and death. He hung from Yggdrasil (the tree of knowledge) for nine days and nights, fasting from both food and water. During the experience, he gained the knowledge of Runes and from then on the knowledge and understanding of runes and their meanings has spread throughout the world.
Originally, runes were used for birth and burial ceremonies and there were even runes to predict the weather! The Vikings used to carve runes onto their battle spears and amulets for protection and luck during battle.
How do Runes work?
Runes are basically an alphabet of symbols (otherwise known as the “Elder Futhark”) that represent different insights into divination than other tools, such as numerology and tarot. Runes are typically used in spreads and work on a question-and-answer basis.
The layout in which the runes are spread will determine what each rune means in relation to the client. One type of spread is the “Three Norns spread” in which the first rune represents the past, the second rune represents the present, and the third rune represents the future. More in-depth rune readings are given when the position of each rune is also taken into account; upright, reverse and converse presentation all denote different translations.
Just as each symbol and position has its own particular meaning and interpretation, the material in which the rune is carved out of can change the tone of the reading dramatically, too. Runes are generally made out of ceramic, stone and wood, but more specific readings may require:
- Gold Runes: for matters pertaining to business, careers and property
- Jade Runes: for matters pertaining to love, relationships, family and friendships
- Ice Runes: for matters pertaining to struggles and achievements
- Spirit Runes: for matters pertaining to mysticism and spirituality
- Stone Runes: for matters pertaining to the natural world and things that are beyond human control
So what does Each Rune Mean?
In a general sense, the standard meanings of the runes are as follows:
- Fehu Earnings such as possessions, income and luck
- Uruz Physical strength and speed, untamed potential
- Thurisaz Reactive force, conflict
- Ansuz Revelations, messages and insight, communication
- Raidho Travel, both physical and lifestyle
- Kenaz Vision, knowledge, creativity, inspiration
- Gebo Gifts (both in the sense of sacrifice and of generosity), balance.
- Wunjo Joy, comfort, pleasure
- Hagalaz Wrath of nature, destructive/uncontrolled forces such as the weather, or within the subconscious
- Nauthiz Delays, restriction
- Isa A challenge or frustration
- Jera Results of earlier efforts are realized
- Eihwaz Strength, dependability, trust
- Perthro Uncertain meaning, a mystery, hidden things, occult abilities
- Algiz Protection, a shield
- Sowilo Success, goals achieved, honor
- Tiwaz Justice, leadership and authority
- BerkanoBirth, fertility (both mental and physical), personal growth
- Ehwaz Transportation; movement and change
- Mannaz The Self; the individual or the human race
- Laguz Flow, water, healing, renewal
- Ingwaz Male fertility, gestation, internal growth
- Dagaz Awakening, awareness
- Othala Inherited property or possessions
Getting a Rune Reading
A rune reading is great for on the spot, quick yet in-depth answers to your everyday questions. If you want to know if the job interview you are about to attend will be successful, a rune reading can give you insight into not only if you will get the job, but how happy you will be, how prosperous and the future of the career that lies ahead of you. Some people believe that a rune reading is more direct than other forms of reading and therefore opt to use them to give a more personal insight into daily life.